Health libraryBack to health library
Makes 10 servings.
2 10-ounce packages cut okra, frozen
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
1 can (14 1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes
1 fresh jalapeño pepper (or habanero chile), pierced 3 times with a fork
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Rinse okra in a colander under hot water.
- Heat oil in a 10-inch heavy skillet over moderately high heat. Sauté onion for about 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes (including juice) and jalapeño pepper, and boil. Stir the mixture for 8 minutes.
- Add okra and cook, gently stirring, until okra is tender, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in salt and pepper, and discard the jalapeño.
Serving size: 1/2 cup. Amount per serving: 99 calories, 4g total fat (1g saturated fat), 0g cholesterol, 15g carbohydrates, 4g protein, 5g total fiber, 133mg sodium.
Source: National Institutes of Health