Important information about the coronavirus COVID-19
We appreciate your understanding as we work to ensure the safety of our staff and patients.
Iredell Memorial Hospital complies with NC Senate Bill 191, “The No Patient Left Alone Act,” that states that hospitals “shall permit patients to receive visitors to the fullest extent permitted under any applicable rules, regulations, or guidelines adopted by either the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS) or the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) or any federal law.”
All visitors must take the following actions:
- Hospital visiting hours are from 8:00 AM to 8:00 PM.
- All visitors should enter through the Emergency Department entrance (Lower Level).
- Two (2) visitors per day will be allowed for patients age 18 and older in Iredell Memorial Hospital.
- Two (2) parents or guardians per day may visit patients under 18 years of age in Iredell Memorial Hospital.
- Visitors will be screened for signs of illness before they are allowed to visit. Anyone showing symptoms of illness will not be permitted to visit.
- Visitor’s must wear a face covering at all times while inside the Health System’s facilities.
- No visitors under the age of 18 are permitted.
- Visitors must follow all social distancing and safety guidance.
- Food is available in both the Cafeteria and Pink Tea Room as a to-go option only. Visitors purchasing food must return to the patient room or exit the facility, as seating is not available in these areas.
COVID-19 Positive Patients:
- NO visitors are allowed except for end-of-life situations
- Approved visitors must wear appropriate PPE: gown, gloves and surgical mask
Same Day Surgery, Endoscopy, Radiation Therapy, Cath Lab, Imaging, Women's Health Center, Outpatient Lab, Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation, Wound Care Center, Iredell Physician Network practice, Iredell Mooresville, Iredell Urgent Care:
- 1 visitor will be allowed for each patient as waiting room social distancing requirements allow
- If waiting room is full, visitors will need to remain in their car and be available by cell phone.
- 2 visitors at any time of day
- 2 parents or guardians are allowed if patients are under 18
- If the Emergency Department is busy, visitors will not be allowed in waiting rooms. Visitors will have to remain in their car outside the Emergency Department and be available by cell phone until patient is placed in a room.
- 2 visitors per day during visitation hours except for changes in patient condition and/or end-of life situations.
- Visitors must follow the same procedures as all others, including wearing a mask, undergoing screening, etc.
The Birth Place:
- 2 visitors per day – 1 support person and 1 visitor.
- No visitors under the age of 18. A support person under the age of 18 is permitted only if they are the partner of the mother.
Skilled Nursing Visitation
- The Skilled Nursing Facility will allow visitation to all residents who have met the criteria for discontinuation of isolation precautions for COVID-19 and who are no longer in the 14-day quarantine period.
- Indoor and outdoor visitation is available at this time from 8:00AM - 8:00PM Other times may be available if needed. Please contact the Director of Nursing to make arrangements for visits outside of normal visiting hours.
- Residents and staff will be screened daily for the presence of symptoms, including temperature check, as well as exposure to COVID-19.
- Visitors will be screened for symptoms of COVID-19 prior to the start of each visit. If a visitor has been diagnosed with COVID-19 they must provide documentation that they no longer meet CDC criteria for transmission-based precautions.
- If a visitor develops symptoms of or a diagnosis of COVID-19 within 2 days of visiting a resident they must notify the facility director immediately.
- Symptoms of COVID 19 are as follows:
- Fever equal to or greater than 100.0 F
- Shortness of breath
- Sore throat
- Muscle aches
- Loss of taste or smell
- Vomiting or diarrhea
- Each resident is allowed 2 visitors at a time. Visitors must check in at the Emergency Department entrance for screening and proceed directly to the resident’s room or visitation space where they will remain for the duration of their visit.
- Staff, residents, and visitors must use alcohol-based hand sanitizer before and after visitation.
- Staff, residents, and visitors must wear a mask that covers both the nose and mouth for the duration of the visit.
- Visitors must remain at least 6 feet from the resident and staff at all times.
- If a resident is 2 weeks post-completion of a COVID vaccination series, they may choose to have physical contact with their visitor.
- Visitation may occur outside of these guidelines in certain compassionate situations as deemed appropriate by the Administrator or Director of Nursing.
- Clergy wishing to visit a patient may do so as long as they comply with all other visitation procedures, including properly wearing a mask and abiding by social distancing guidelines.
Iredell Health System follows the guidelines and recommendations of the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Learn more about COVID-19 from the CDC below. PDF versions of the information below are also available in English and Spanish.
For more info from the CDC, read these PDFs:
- What you should know about COVID-19 to protect yourself and others
- Lo que usted debe saber acerca del COVID-19 para protegerse a usted y a los demás
- Prevent the spread of COVID-19 if you are sick
- Si está enfermo, prevenga la propagación del COVID-19
Click on a question below to view the answer.
Patients with COVID-19 have mild to severe respiratory illness with symptoms of:
- Shortness of breath
People can help protect themselves from respiratory illness with everyday preventive actions.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose, and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use an alcohol-based hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol if soap and water are not available.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough or sneeze with a tissue, then throw the tissue in the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
If you are sick with COVID-19 or suspect you are infected with the virus, you should:
- Stay home except to get medical care. Restrict your activities outside your home. Do not go to work, school, or public areas. Avoid using public transportation, ride-sharing, or taxis.
- Call ahead before visiting your doctor. If you have a medical appointment, call the healthcare provider and tell them that you have or may have COVID-19 before you go. This will help the healthcare provider’s office take steps to keep other people from getting infected or exposed.
- Separate yourself from other people and animals in your home. As much as possible, you should stay in a specific room and away from other people in your home. Also, you should use a separate bathroom, if available. Do not handle pets or other animals while sick.
Iredell Health System offers COVID-19 testing on a limited basis for individuals who meet specific criteria. If you have been exposed to someone with COVID-19 or suspect you may have COVID-19, please contact your primary care provider. As always, individuals experiencing medical emergencies should seek immediate medical care. Our Emergency Department is prepared to care for you in a safe environment.
If you do not have a primary care provider, please visit IredellPhysicianNetwork.com.
For additional information and updates, please visit the following sites:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov
- Iredell County Health Department: https://nc-iredellcounty.civicplus.com/1383/Coronavirus-COVID-19
- North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services: https://ncdhhs.gov/coronavirus
- Subscribe to our health news e-newsletter from Coffey Communications.
The North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services has established a public hotline for questions on coronavirus COVID-19. To access the hotline, call 1.866.462.3821.