Features of our Pediatric Department
- All registered nurses assigned to pediatrics have had special training in the care of children.
- All registered nurses assigned to pediatrics are or are becoming certified in Pediatric Advanced Life Support.
- Our board-certified doctors and our nurses have a working relationship with Brenner's Children's Hospital at NC Baptist Hospital and with Carolina's Medical Center.
- A pediatric nurse clinician educator is available to assist you and your family with any special education you may need such as CPR skills or instruction in certain pieces of medical equipment that your child may need at home.
- Your child's doctor or nurse or the pediatric nurse clinician is available to answer questions about your child's illness, special treatments or procedures.
- Meals are offered at no charge to the family member staying with the child.
- Educational materials, brochures, videos and booklets are available to help you understand your child's illness and care.
- Movies, children's books, toys and a video game console are available for your child's entertainment.
- A specially prepared Pediatric Menu is available for your child.
- All rooms are private, but we accept your insurance company's semi-private rate payment.
Color Coding Kids
Color Coding Kids is a safety system designed to improve pediatric care by incorporating a standard concentration and calculation of medications, IV fluids and color coded modules. Implemented in 2009, this system matches a color to a child, depending on the child's weight.
Parents and overnight stays
Parents are permitted to visit and stay with their child at ALL times. If your child is under the age of 5 years, an adult must stay with the child at all times. Sleeping arrangements are available for one adult to stay with the pediatric patient.
Visitation by siblings and others
If your child's condition permits, brothers and sisters may visit during the daytime as long as they have not been exposed to any contagious disease or have any symptoms of illness. Other visitors may come during the daytime or evening according to the wishes of the parents and the child's condition.
If your child needs surgery
Should surgery be required, one parent/guardian may accompany the child to the Operating Room Holding Room. You may stay with your child until the surgery. Regular updates will be given while your child is in surgery. You will be reunited with your child in the Recovery Room as soon as possible.